Friday, January 22, 2010

The Temporary Vegan.

As part of my research project I have adopted the vegan eating plan for the duration of the time I spend working on the project. I estimate approximately 6 to 7 weeks. I call it a bit of practical research since it is always easy to come up with academic theories...sometimes not so easy to implement them. It is not that I have any doubt that a healthy vegan diet is possible, but is it actually doable for the average person (like me) in todays vertically integrated, corporate controlled food production and distribution system?

I set out to discover the shortest route to the East side food co-op. The West side co-op is closer but it is more limited so I wanted to have routes to both locations. My usual strategy is to use the car to find the place the first time so I know where it is, and then cycle it from then on.

Here is the car route/bike route from west Olympia to east.





My first grocery bill looked like this (below)...
There are several items on it that I could have done without if I had a few kids and needed to spend that money on other items. The trail mix, for instance, could have been an extra few pounds of whole grain hot cereal.



2 comments:

  1. This is so rad. I hope you like being vegan. It is my favorite thing. Honestly. Good luck! (Not that you need it). Let me know if you need any resources or tips. Also, you are FUNNY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anika. Any pointers you have on veganism are welcome.

    ReplyDelete