Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Finally made it to the treatment plant in Arcata, California

September, 2010




Since phytoremediation is one of my main interests I have wanted to
check out the phyto-treatment plant in Arcata. It was very impressive.




They use a series of channels, pools and plants to settle out and then sequester waste products in the water until all that is left is fresh, clean water.







Large ponds of water hyacinth, grasses, cattails, etc... take up
organic waste and are periodically harvested and composted or dried.





I got to do a little rain forest camping during the trip. "Rain" being the key word in September.



And on the way back I spent a little time in Portland. I love Portland. Here is the famous Voodoo Donut Shop. An almost constant line around the block attests to it's popularity. Must be one heck of a donut.



No comments:

Post a Comment