Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Copenhagen, Denmark!! Yeah!

June, 2010

My friend Meg and I made it to Denmark. That is by far the longest flight I have ever been on, but so worth it. I have been wanting to check out Copenhagen for a very long time. What a great city. We stayed with a woman named Pernille who rented us each a room in her 7th floor apartment.





One of the things I loved the most was how many people ride bicycles there. Large groups of cyclists are everywhere and the cars accommodate them in a mostly friendly manner












We stayed in the Nørregade part of the city, which was in easy walking distance to the Botanical Garden











So many plants! I could have spend a week there. I don't remember this species but it was almost prehistoric seeming because of its huge leaves.











Beautiful art floating on the pond.






















I enjoyed this sculpture in one of the plazas.













They told us no photographs were allowed in a part of town called
Christianhavn (possibly because hashish is sold out in the open),
but here is some of the graffiti that adorns the entrance.

Vertical gardening added a touch of beauty and punctuated the overwhelming
sense of sanity that pervaded the town.






The buskers of Copenhagen filled the
streets with great music.















We made a side trip to Malmö, Sweden.
I'm glad we did, but we really needed more time to do it right. We went to a park near the water and saw this funky tower. Turns out it's a famous art-itechcure called The Turning Torso.













We made dinner one evening and ate it on the roof of Pernille's apartment building. Great view from up there. (PS. It was one of the most delicious dinners we had there).










And the last day in Denmark I sat in a coffee shop reflecting over the entire 
experience when this played on the sound system. The perfect song.



No comments:

Post a Comment